African American History and Culture
Development/Trends in Audio/Radio Production
Creative and Published Works
Co-Producer – BIO Podcasts, a weekly podcast series featuring interviews with authors who have recently published biographies about national and international figures, March 2019-present
Williams, Sonja D. 2018. Word Warrior: Richard Durham, Radio, and Freedom. (audiobook) Portland: Blackstone Publishing, Inc.
Williams, Sonja D. 2015. Word Warrior: Richard Durham, Radio, and Freedom. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Executive Producer – Uncrowned Queens: Voices of African American Women, a 13-part radio documentary series about extraordinary African American community leaders in Buffalo and Western New York. Series aired on Buffalo, NY stations WNED and WBLK, October 2008-February 2009, and earned a 2009 “Gracie Allen” Award from the American Women in Radio and Television (AWRT) for exemplary programming for, by and about women.
Williams, Sonja & Judi Moore Latta. 2019. Wade in the Water: An Introduction. NPR Music.
Williams, Sonja. 2016. Destination Freedom: A Historic Radio Series about Black Life. Journal of Radio and Audio Media. Volume 23, Issue 2. 263-277. Taylor & Francis Online.
Williams, Sonja. 2016. Remembering a Public TV Drama that Delved Into Lives of Black Chicagoans. Current. (online newsletter). Washington, DC.
Williams, Sonja. 2015. Word Warrior Richard Durham: Crusading Radio Scriptwriter. Flow Journal: A Critical Forum on Media and Culture (online). University of Texas, Austin.
Williams, Sonja. 2004. Richard Durham 1917-1984: U.S. Writer and Radio Dramatist. Encyclopedia of Radio, ed. Christopher H. Sterling, 511-514. New York and London: Fitzroy Dearborn.
_______. 2004. Soundprint: U.S. Documentary Series and Media Center. Encyclopedia of Radio, ed. Christopher H. Sterling, 1301-1302. New York and London: Fitzroy Dearborn.
Additional Selected Accomplishments:
JAZZ PROFILES, NPR Peabody Award-winning Series (Producer/Writer)
Howard University/School of Communications Student Council’s Distinguished Service Award 2006
JAZZ SINGERS, Smithsonian Productions Series (Associate Producer/Writer)
- Broadcast Education Association Faculty Production Award 2002
Howard University/School of Communications’ Excellence Award for Outstanding Professional Achievement 1999
Howard University/School of Communications’ Certificate of Achievement/Peabody Award Recipient for three consecutive years 1997
BLACK RADIO: TELLING IT LIKE IT WAS, Radio Smithsonian Series (Associate Producer/Writer)
- George Foster Peabody Award for Significant & Meritorious Achievement 1996
- American Women in Radio and Television “Gracie Allen” Award 1996
- Alfred I. duPont/Columbia University Silver Baton Award for Excellence in Broadcast Journalism 1996
- National Education Association Award for the Advancement of Learning Through Broadcasting 1996
- New York Festival’s International Programming Gold Award for Best Documentary Series And Best Series Narration 1996
- Gabriel Award for Documentary Production 1996
- International Association of Audio-Visual Communicators Gold Award 1996
MAKING THE MUSIC, NPR Series (Producer/Writer)
- George Foster Peabody Award for Significant & Meritorious Achievement 1995
- Howard University/School of Communications Distinguished Faculty Creative Achievement/Research Award 1995
WADE IN THE WATER: AFRICAN AMERICAN SACRED MUSIC TRADITIONS NPR/Smithsonian Series (Associate Producer/Writer)
- George Foster Peabody Award for Significant & Meritorious Achievement 1994
- National Education Association Award for the Advancement of Learning Through Broadcasting 1994
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting “Gold” Award for Documentary Excellence 1994
- National Association of Black Journalists Award 1994
- Lincoln University “Unity” Award for Radio Documentary 1994
- Angel Award for Documentary Excellence
ALTERNATIVES: ONE WOMAN’S FIGHT AGAINST AIDS, NPR (Producer)
- American Women in Radio and Television Award 1993
- CINDY Award for Documentary Production 1993
IN TOUCH: AIDS IN THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY, WHUR-FM (Executive Producer)
- Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award 1992
- CEBA (Communications Excellence to Black Audiences) Award of Excellence 1992
- National Association of Community Broadcasters Silver Reel Award 1992
- Howard University/Department of Radio, TV & Film Paul Robeson Award 1991
- Howard University/School of Communications’ Distinguished Faculty Achievement/Meritorious Service Award 1992
Howard University/School of Communications Student Council’ “Most Appreciated Faculty” Award 1992
CATHY HUGHES SCHOOL OF
525 Bryant St Nw
Washington, DC 20059
Phone: (202) 806-7698
Toll Free: (800) 822-6363
Phone: (202) 806-2763 or
Fax: (202) 806-4465
Toll Free: (800) 822-6363
Phone: (202) 806-6800
Fax: (202) 806-4465