Are you an outgoing, ambitious, goal-oriented person interested in media? Consider applying for a fellowship to participate in the NAB Education Foundation’s (NABEF) Media Sales Institute (MSI) and you could begin an exciting career in media sales upon graduation from the renowned MSI program at Howard University!
The NABEF Media Sales Institute program is an intensive 12-day boot camp where students are immersed in learning electronic media advertising sales and sales techniques. The curriculum is designed to provide an entree into broadcast media sales for talented students of diverse backgrounds. The MSI program provides comprehensive training to selected candidates in the field of broadcasting to include radio, television, cable, digital and internet media. Since 2002, an average of 75 percent of the participants were hired by media companies within months after their participation in the program.
Why Choose a Career in Media Sales?
- Media sales professionals interact with individuals in a myriad of industries on a daily basis.
- Working in media sales offers impressive growth opportunities – more than 90 percent of media executives began their career in media sales.
- Media sales professionals are often the highest paid professionals in the industry.
- Working in media sales offers you the opportunity to work at your favorite radio station, television station or media company.
What Will You Learn at the Media Sales Institute
Chief executive officers and top executives from major media companies teach curriculum sessions on the following topics:
It boosted my confidence as a future sales/ marketing/ advertising professional and gave me more job options. By the end of July, MSI granted me over 12 interviews and several job offers with some of the nation’s top communications /media companies.
- Media Introduction: TV, Radio, Digital, Cable
- Effective Listening and Questioning Skills
- Real-Life Application of a Client Case Study
- How to Create an Integrated Media Campaign
- Conducting a Customer Needs Analysis
- Metrics and Measurement (Arbitron and Nielsen)
- Effective Sales Presentation Techniques
- Resume Building and Career Coaching
- Communication Skills for Business Today
- Prospecting Tools and Closing Tactics
Selection as a Fellow of the Media Sales Institute Provides For the Following Benefits
- Full admission to the Media Sales Institute, including meals and housing (value of $3,000+);
- Networking opportunities and career counseling with industry executives;
- The opportunity to build a peer network of media professionals;
- The opportunity for one-on-one interviews with media companies across the country;
- Ongoing support via online professional networking and webinars; and
- The prestige associated with receiving the NABEF Media Sales certification.
To apply for the NABEF Media Sales Institute, students must have graduated by the beginning of the program. Prospective participants must complete an application and submit a 500-word essay describing why attending the NABEF Media Sales Institute will be valuable to you. In the essay please address: (1) extra –curricular/volunteer/student activities; (2) what media sales means to you; (3) detail any relevant internships and/or work experiences (if applicable). Along with your application you are required to submit a one-page resume, and two letters of recommendation (non-family members), one from one of your professors and one from another source.
Professionals from the industry serve as the Institute’s “faculty” and are prepared to offer employment to selected graduates. These individuals are responsible for the following:
- Organizing and developing a specified agenda topic into an appropriate class session,
- Conducting and compiling appropriate research to share with participants,
- Delivering a professional level workshop complete with instructional and training aids in the form of PowerPoint presentations, handouts, and/or audio/visual materials.
Workshop sessions run from one to three hours and usually include question/answer periods and other interactive activities.
The Media Sales Institute is an intense twelve-day workshop, designed to introduce 27 graduating seniors to the nuts and bolts of media sales as a career, offered by the Department of Media, Journalism and Film (MJF) and sponsored by the National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation (NABEF). The NABEF Media Sales Institute serves as a pipeline to funnel excellent students into the business of media sales. During the twelve-day program, students are immersed in a fast paced learning environment. Professionals from the industry serve as the Institute’s “faculty” and are prepared to offer employment to selected graduates.
In 1999 when the Institute was conceived, we had a dream that the partnership between NABEF and the Howard University Department of Radio, TV, and Film would produce winners and that the broadcast industry would be the better for it. Founding fathers Chuck Sherman and Ernie Fears, Jr. (both deceased) along with co-founders Judi Moore Latta and Vicci Saunders, believed that we had a formula that would assure a steady stream of media sales personnel offering diversity to the industry. With the generous support of NABEF and support from MJF, we are pleased to report that the formula has worked. The NABEF MSI @ Howard University has completed twelve classes totaling more than 350 graduates. Of that number most are working currently in entry, mid, and top level sales positions in approximately twenty-five companies.
NABEF Media Sales Institute Class of 2014
Click here to see videos
For the final two days of the Institute, participants make randomly-selected group media sales presentation before a field of professional recruiters. Based on presentations, resumes, and application statement, recruiters chose to meet and talk with participants face to face in scheduled one-on-one Job interviews.
The NABEF-MSI@Howard Staff
- Jay Holloway (Director)
- Melanie Babb (Program Administrator)
- Lesley Bowers (Program Administrator)
- Youlander Greene (Financial Administrator)
- Elliott Morris (Program Assistant)
Media Sales Institute
Department of Media, Journalism, & Film
525 Bryant Street, NW, Room 230
Washington, D.C. 20059
Call: (202) 806-4707
Fax: (202) 806-4844